CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Jalapeno Experience

I typed this up yesterday, but our internet was down and I couldn't post it:

Since Sunday was Superbowl Sunday, a friend of mine was having a party and asked everyone to bring something to eat. I decided I would make those super yummy jalapeno things, they’re jalapenos cut in half, stuffed with cream cheese, and wrapped in bacon. I’ve had them several times and love them so I thought I would make them for the party. I have never made anything with jalapenos before and definitely nothing with whole jalapenos. Yesterday afternoon I embark on this cooking adventure, no worries in mind. I cut the stem of the peppers, cut them in half, and then take the middle, called the “membrane”, out of them. I do this with bare hands, and don’t think twice about it. After I’m done with all of the peppers the smell has given me a runny nose, so I go to blow it, but didn’t wash my hands first. A couple of minutes later, my nose starts to tingle a little and then starts to feel on fire. OMG OMG OMG there’s jalapeno juice in my nose! I run to wash my hands so I don’t get this juice anywhere else…I was smart here and decide to scrub under my finger nails so I’m not spreading it anywhere else I don’t want this jalapeno juice to be. Now that spreading it around anywhere else is taken care of, I have to figure out how I’m going to put a stop to this inferno that is burning in my nose. I try washing my nose out with Dawn soap, doesn’t do anything. I try my face soap, doesn’t do anything, my nose is still flaming. I go so far as to put lotion all over my fingers and stick them in my nose. Does not stop the fire. I was minutes away from putting milk in my nose because it hurt so bad. It seemed that everything I did only made the fire worse, so I decide to leave it alone for a bit…thank God, the flames finally cool down and I can breath through my nose without feeling as if I’m breathing fire through there. After the fire stops in my nose, I realize the jalapeno juice has burned all the fingers on my left hand, I even have the beginnings of a blister on my middle finger. Today, a whole day later, my hand still burns. Should I ever make the terribly stupid decision to do anything with jalapenos, again, I will wear gloves.

Now, this may sound like a funny forwarded story of someone doing something stupid, but no….it is not, it was me, yesterday, that was in hell….hope you get a little laugh out of it.

4 comments:

StephanieG said...

yes i can relate to this! it sucks!! i found myself googling how to remove jalapeno juice from skin and ended up in all kinds of forums with people asking for the same advice. some people even said the pain was so bad they ended up in ER! haha

my nose and side of my mouth felt like fire for about 4 hours and my hands had a delayed reaction and burned all night...after the fact.

never made those without gloves again. lol

Heather said...

I got a giggle out of it... hehe!

Anonymous said...

don't feel bad... we've all done it! :) think on the bright side... at least it wasn't in your eyes!

Anonymous said...

Two nights ago, I sliced a jalapeno for a sandwich. Then I put my pajamas on. Realizing I had to go to the bathroom, I put going to bed on hold, and did that. Suddenly it got very hot and painful in places where you never want to feel that kind of pain....
At least it was your nose. That was NOT an enjoyable experience.
XD